Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Loving Humanity This Holiday Season


Today, I had a wild experience. I was stopped at a red light and caught site of the driver in front of me. I could only see half of his face in his side view mirror. He was several years my senior, had a seasoned face, a blank stare. Yet somehow, I saw eternity in him. There was nothing in his expression to bring on such a profound response, though suddenly I was washed with a wave of love for humanity. A subtle sense came over me as if seeing into his soul. I felt his humanness and my love for him...for all of us, in our vulnerable, miraculous, mysterious state. He caught my gaze a few times and though I smiled, the exchange had so much transparency that I felt I should look away. I even did a few times, still allowing love to gaze through my eyes. In a moment we were driving, and life moved on, as it always does.

I have a practice of seeing the Divine in all beings as I walk through the world. I really look at people, noninvasively, yet deeply. I am humbled and graced over and over again by how often hearts are wide open and love is reflected right back...in a gesture, a smile, a warm exchange. Some people are caught off guard but delighted, others are shutdown. Though overall from where I am standing, we live in a loving world.
____________________________________________________________________

This week I have been calling homeless shelters. While I can't offer housing, food for a month or a job, I do want to offer a One Love Alliance charitable event. I'd like to bring warm socks and sandwiches to a group of homeless people. I want to offer them kindness, with a smile. Wherever they are - gathered, isolated in survival, roaming the city of Tucson, or standing at scattered street corners, they are my people too. Humanity has every face under the sun. I mumble and grumble and judge just like anyone else, yet at the core, I love life, I love humanity and I want to see us all thriving. I especially feel this surge as we approach this time of year.

For me, the spirit of this season is full of magic and wonder, good will and the power of community, ritual and light in the darkness. I love the inner quiet that Solstice invites, I love the feast of lights, the joy of creating a heartfelt offering. I love baking cookies (and eating them). For Talia, my 3 year old, the holiday time is still about the sparkly sweetness of life. No consumer, toy hungry, gift fixations here (Yet).

This Holiday Season, I want to focus on loving humanity. Today, I spoke with a friend about our mutual value of instilling a sense of gratitude and love amidst what is often an overwhelming, consumptive, pressure cooker of cultural energy this time of year.

We committed to do at least 5 things that weave together the traditions we loved growing up, evolved along with our heart's joy and the current times.
Here are some of my ideas...What are yours?
  • I will donate to my favorite charity, Amala Foundation, who I LOVE, especially their Global Youth Peace Summit, and their focus on the World's Children.
  • I will repeat the 29 Day Giving Challenge , as recently featured in my friend, Britt's Blog (Also check out her past posts for amazing Have Fun, Do Good Holiday Ideas).
  • I will paint a recycled cardboard Xmas tree as a family Solstice art project.
  • I will bake and cook delicious, nourishing homemade food to share.
  • I will give of my time, including the gift of leisure time with loved ones.
  • I will get out onto the earth, go within and give deep thanks and praise.
  • I will see the holidays through the eyes of a child.
  • I will gather and connect with my beloveds both near and far.
  • I will sing, and dance, play my guitar, and play in general.
  • I will celebrate life. Now and Now and Now.
"There is only one nation-the nation of humanity
There is only one religion- the religion of love
There is only one language,- the language of the heart"
Sai Baba

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Gabriela! I appreciate the inspiration. I am going to reflect on your post and how I can make this season meaningful to myself. As I am growing older, the holiday still, in many ways, holds the same magic for me it did when I was younger. AND I am wanting to redifine what it means to me. I love what you have shared. Thank you again.

    Loving the posts! Keep them coming! :)

    Kristen

    ReplyDelete

Always Happy to Hear from YOU! Thanks, One Love!