Please write a One Love Nugget suggesting ways of keeping my work space clean. I am a professional artist and writer and can't seem to keep clutter from engulfing me and blocking my creative flow. How do I organize my space?"
Dear Messy Maven,
Thanks for your question. It is one many of us can relate to, as we are all artists of many mediums, including life and reality. Here are my current top ten tips for getting and staying organized in your work space.
- Become a lover of Immaculate, Impeccable Spaces (but not neurotic).
- ZEN OUT-Declutter. Get rid of everything in your space that is not useful, loved or essential. When in doubt, throw it out. Simplify, Simplify!
- Make your workplace “sacred space”. Create a simple altar, light a candle, place fresh flowers, etc. This serves as a small way to call in the Divine Muse of Creativity and will support you in respecting organization (you would never leave piles of papers and messy supplies in a temple or church, right?).
- Clear and organize your head and heart! A clear mind (meditate!) and a light heart (forgive, feel, express, release held energy) support a present, clear physical space.
- Use efficient systems to track paperwork, files and store supplies and items.
- Keep storage systems out of sight. If possible, use a closet, cabinet or even a bamboo screen for keeping boxes, bins, file drawers out of your line of sight.
- Every week clear out any extra clutter that has accumulated in your work space.
- Keep a running list of goals and action items so that the energy of your art/writing/creativity keeps moving. Creative blocks create eddies of messes and disorganization. So keep your flow current and in motion.
- Cultivate Clarity and Focus in your work. Clarity breeds Cleanliness. Focus breeds Organization. In fact, I find that they are bi-directional! They are interdependent.
- Love yourself, Love your life, Create beauty. This one should speak for itself.
Give us your fave tips! Thanks! One Love!